They are amazed at how easy it looks to make big money without all the hassles that go along with having to create their own product and deliver it to the customers.
They think they can just sit back and rake in the commissions and then nothing happens, the big bucks don’t show up in their pockets.
Where did they go wrong?
This is where they went wrong and how you can avoid those same mistakes:
- They were in too much of a hurry. Affiliate marketing is a game of patience. Big money is not going to be made overnight. Small steps taken over time have a cumulative effect, like a snowball rolling down a hill, the longer it rolls the bigger it gets. You can’t give up after one day. You have to stick with it for the long haul.
- They have a lack of focus. Pick one affiliate program and stick with it. Don’t fall into the trap of thinking you will make more money by promoting a lot of programs at once right from the start. They will all suffer because you will not be able to give them the time and focus that is needed.
- They pick the wrong affiliate program. A good affiliate program has three things you will need to look for. It must pay a good commission, it must always pay you on time, and it has to be a good fit for your target audience. If any of those are missing, pick a different program.
- They pick an affiliate program that appeals to a broad audience thinking that they will get more sales that way. You should focus on a small niche, the smaller the niche the better. The number of visitors to your site will be smaller, but the focused content will give substantially higher conversion rates.
- They put up a site and think the traffic will just come pouring in. Sorry, but “if you build it, they will come” only works in the movies, not in real life. You have to put in the work to get visitors to your site. You have to get backlinks, do article marketing, start an opt in email list, anything to get your site in front of people. Generating traffic is the most difficult part of affiliate marketing, that’s why people pay you a commission, you are doing the work.
- They just throw up an affiliate link. Web visitors are a lot more knowledgeable than they used to be. They can spot an affiliate link a mile away and the last thing a visitor wants is to be sold to, they came to your site looking for information. You must hide or cloak your affiliate links so that visitors that come to your site don’t know they are affiliate links. Visitors can and do go to merchant sites and purchase without using your affiliate link, or even changing it to their own so that they get the commission for the sale. This costs you money.
These are just a few of the mistakes that those starting out in affiliate marketing make. Don’t let that be you. Those big checks will start coming in if you do your affiliate marketing the right way.